What does RATHER mean?




SOMEWHAT:

It´s rather warm today.
I was somewhat surprised to see you.I was rather surprised to see you.
I am feeling rather tired.


Intend: He did not call, rather he wrote a letter.
Prefer: I would rather eat pizza.
Noticeably: She is rather pretty.


Followed by THAN: sooner, earlier, on the contrary (aware of sentence)


She would rather study a the library than go to parties.
My parents would rather that I drive slowly.
I would rather that you...
The party was rather nice.
I rather regret that, but I cannot attend.
I am rather busy, in fact...
They walked rather slowly. (quite)
I has some rather bad news today (much)
We had rather wait a long time.
It was rather a surprise to find them in the house.
It cost me rather a lot of money.
Now that she saw him again, he was rather less interesting and a little older than she had remembered him.
Thanks to his efforts, or rather the efforts of his employees, they made  decent profit.
I realize that I have been rather stupid and selfish.