What have you been doing in recent years?



I recently returned from Ireland, where I had been working in an office and studying English. Before that, I had spent two years travelling in Brazil.



I had eaten dinner by the time Marie arrived home.
I had been eating dinner when Marie arrived home.

         - TALKING ABOUT THE PAST FROM A PAST PERSPECTIVE - 


Lucas arrived home at 8pm. He was hungy but I had already eaten dinner 
This morning he had gone shopping and when he realised that night I had eaten all the food, he was angry. 


  • We had paid the bill before receiving the notice.
  • The students had looked for the information on the Internet before writing the paper.
  • I had  a bad experience.
  • I had had an old car then I bought a new car.


Last year, I was talking to my friend about Faith no more.
had seen them in concert the previous summer.



  • now > at that time
  • yesterday > the day before / the previous day
  • today > that day
  • tomorrow > the next day / the following day
  • soon > soon after
  • five minutes ago > five minutes before
  • last summer > the previous summer / the summer before that
  • next summer > the next summer / the summer after that
  • before > before that

A: I first met you at Lou's wedding, I believe.
B: Actually, I think we had met once before that, but it was very briefly.